Monday, November 12, 2007

Mancat Gizzy

This is a picture of my bestest pal Gizzy. This picture was taken four years ago, when he was 11 years old. Most of you know that Gizzy went to the Rainbow Bridge this past April. He was wonderful, and Mom and I loved him a lot. Like Monty Q, he used to want to go outside all the time.

One of the comments on my blog last week was a question "What is a Gizzy?" Well, Gizzy is this cat, but a "Gizzy" is the name that cats use to refer to the Gizzy Quilts Mom makes. Mom has made over 100 Gizzy and Holiday Gizzy Quilts. (Eek!)

Anyway, before she made Gizzy Quilts, Mom made a bunch of Quilted Chessboards. Here is a picture of one of them, named "Martini."
The chessboards are made of cotton, but have a filling of denim, to keep them stiff. They are "regulation" size, which means the individual squares are 2-1/4" and will work with most standard sized Chess pieces. This chessboard is set up with a puzzle, and the only clue is "White forces Mate." Now, I don't know what that means, but if you do, you can solve the puzzle.

Mom just rebuilt her computer again (don't ask) and she -finally- got all her pictures back on it, so I can finally post today. I was in a missing-Gizzy mood, so that's why we have this nice picture of Gizzy for you tonight.

10 comments:

Shaggy and Scout said...

Not to confuse things further, lets not forget that a Gizzy is also a unit of measurement.
What a lovely picture of Gizzy. Such a gentle cat.

Millie said...

Scooby, Shaggy, Scout,

You guys are Right! I didn't mention that a gizzy is a S.U.O.C.M. (Standard Unit of Cat Measurement)or about 18 inches.

Yeah, Gizzy was a gentle cat. No matter how much I pestered him when I was a kitten, he never whapped me.

Just Ducky said...

I was thinking the same as SS&S. One Gizzy long or so. Your mum is furry talented with the quilts.

Tiger Lily said...

Gizzy was a beautiful gentle cat and I can understand how you miss him. Mom thinks she solved the puzzle but she doesn't know much about Chess.

Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

We unnerstand dat missing our old frend thing...Zippy still lays on Punkin's old baby blanket and she has nursed on da corner. Punkin was a substitute mom and her best frend in da whole world.

Kimo and Sabi said...

We think about Gizzy everytime we snuggle on our quilt.

Poppy Q said...

We know you miss Gizzy lots. Dat was a super picture of him. You can just tell from his photos dat he was a very gentle and nice puddy cat. It is awesome that Gizzy quilts live on in his memory.

Parker said...

This was very nice to come over here and see Gizzy. We think of Gizzy every time we fight, er, ah, nap on our Gizzies. Wow, that was a lot of Gizzy in one mouthful!

Monty Q. Kat said...

I'll try to be a Gizzy as I get older!

Magoo, Smudge, Bella & Dolce said...

The puzzle is that the Black King is in checkmate to the White Knight located on WK5. (I might be off on my coordinates)

PS I love this quilt. It just encourages your furriend to come crashing in and interrupt your chess match.